The Stars Of Tomorrow!

The Stars Of Tomorrow!

Welcome!

A very warm welcome to Grade 5B's class on the web!
We hope you enjoy your visit. This site has been designed to help keep families updated on our accomplishments throughout the year, as well as share important information about our classroom. We love to hear from our visitors, so it would be great if you would leave comments. If you have questions or you need to contact me, please email me at
kbeck@njis.or.id
Be sure to check in often as we will try to update it weekly.

Thursday 23 April 2009

Students Use Quills & Scrolls in Ella Enchanted

As part of our Ella Enchanted novel work, students tried their hands at staining paper using tea and coffee; burning the edges of the paper to make it more 'aged' and then, using quills (kebab sticks) and ink pots, the students had a go at writing a letter on their scrolls the old fashioned way!
You should have heard the complaints!
"It's too hard!";
"The scratching noise is stressing me out!";
"I have to re-dip the quill every single letter!";
"I'm making such a mess - the ink is blotting everywhere!";
"I'm never going to finish!"

Well, the students did finish eventually, and I really think they got a sense of just how lucky they are to have the pens they have today! Students actually produced some very beautiful scrolls, all letters as if they were Ella herself, to the very clumsy and air-headed fairy, Lucinda, in order to beseech her to remove the curse of obedience from her soul.

We completed the activity by sealing the scrolls in the traditional way with melted candle wax (which we had to do outside as we were scared we would set the fire alarms off!) and coins for the imprints on the seals.
I will attach a photo of the final results tomorrow.

I do hope the students will remember this lesson. I think they learnt a lot!


“Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss you will land among the stars!”-Les Brown
Posted by Picasa

No comments: