The Stars Of Tomorrow!

The Stars Of Tomorrow!

Welcome!

A very warm welcome to Grade 5B's class on the web!
We hope you enjoy your visit. This site has been designed to help keep families updated on our accomplishments throughout the year, as well as share important information about our classroom. We love to hear from our visitors, so it would be great if you would leave comments. If you have questions or you need to contact me, please email me at
kbeck@njis.or.id
Be sure to check in often as we will try to update it weekly.

Tuesday 18 August 2009

Welcome to 5B 2009/2010!


Welcome Back!!
Hello and ‘Welcome’ to 5th Grade! I trust you had a refreshing summer break.
My name is Mrs. Beck and I am I am happy to report I will be teaching your child this year. This year promises to be challenging, yet fun and exciting. . As this is the first of many letters you will receive from me, it is filled with a lot of helpful information about the Grade Five program and how you can get in touch with me. I hope you enjoy reading this installment. Please keep in touch with me throughout the year. If you have questions or concerns, the best way to reach me is through my email address: kbeck@njis.or.id

In 5th Grade, students will continue learning and becoming responsible members of the larger school and outside community. I have many aspirations for my students in their academic and social learning, and for myself as their teacher. I am confident that we will reach our goals. I believe it is essential that we all work together to build a healthy, caring, classroom community so that students have room to grow, and feel safe taking risks in the process. Together, we are all responsible for helping our students learn and succeed. Thank you for your support.

ABOUT ME
Although I am British/Australian, I have spent the majority of my life, living overseas in a variety of countries, including, The U.K, Australia, Dubai, Oman, and Taiwan. This is my second year both at NJIS and in Indonesia and I hope to stay much longer. I live here with my husband, Andrew, who teaches High School Science here at NJIS and my two daughters, Annalise (4 years old) and Juliette (2 years old).
I gained all of my university qualifications in the U.K, completing my Bachelor of Arts at Manchester University and my Post Graduate Certificate of Education at Birmingham University. I also hold a certificate in General Counseling and a Diploma in Crisis Counseling.
I love my job and I am especially looking forward to fostering excellence in scholarship, leadership, compassion, and creative and critical thinking in your child this year.


CLASS PROGRAMME
To begin the academic year we will be focusing on Number Computation in Mathematics, and a World Geography Simulation unit in Social Studies. Our first Science unit will be based on Ecosystems, Pollution and the Environment. We will be heavily focusing on reading skills this year and most of our writing units will be linked to the themes your child is reading about.

SURVEY
I have attached a survey to this letter, which I would ask you to complete and return to me. Your knowledge of your child is invaluable to me and supports me to create the best program for your child. Often, parents have differing views about their child’s personality, strengths, attitudes and work habits, so feel free to write individual comments in each section.

HOMEWORK
Your child should be spending between 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours a night working on homework in Grade Five. Homework will be written daily in the homework diary. As well, I may occasionally write notes in the homework diary for you to read and you can also communicate with me by writing in the notes column of their diary too.

PENCIL CASES
I would appreciate it if your child could buy a simple calculator, protractor and pencil case for use at school. A pencil case is particularly helpful in ensuring that all equipment is easily accessible and organized. Please label all your child’s possessions. Now that your child is in Grade 5, I gently encourage all students to write in pen wherever possible, in preparation for High School, therefore, please supply some ball point or biro blue or black pens for your child’s pencil case also.

CLASS SCHEDULE
School runs from Monday to Friday, starting at 7:30AM and finishing at 2:30PM. You may need to remind your child to check their six-day schedule every day, for the first few weeks of school, to ensure they are fully equipped for the day’s program until it becomes a habit they maintain.

I hope I will see you all at our school Open House on the 3rd September. I am looking forward to meeting with you.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Kathryn Beck
Grade 5 Teacher


“Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss you will land among the stars!”-Les Brown

No comments: